My Bags are Packed

MooseQuilts
John Denver is on my list of all time favorite singers.  Although the only part of his song that applies is the first part, “All my bags are packed.  I’m ready to go. . . .”  I’m getting excited to travel this weekend to the great state of Iowa!
Why Iowa?  Well, I will be teaching three quilt classes in Sioux City and giving a trunk show at their quilt show.  If you happen to live near there, you can email the president of the Siouxland Samplers Quilt Guild, June DeVries, at augjunebug {at} aol.com for more information.
Here’s a little piece of trivia about Iowa that you may or may not not know.  Sometimes people get it mixed up with Idaho.  During high school I moved from Idaho to Maryland and many of my friends couldn’t remember if I was from Idaho or Iowa.  Now take me, for example, I would get Iowa mixed up with Ohio.  They are closer in proximity and closer in size and their names both have 4 letters.  It seems much more logical to confuse Iowa and Ohio than to confuse Iowa and Idaho.
But I am not confused as to my destination because we drove through Sioux City on our way home from Paducah, Kentucky this year and stop at a gorgeous Louis and Clark monument that overlooked the city.  I am looking forward to heading their again.
Oh, one correction to my original statement.  All my bags are not packed, but my quilts are packed, and that is really what is important here.
If you are in the area, come on by.  I would love to say hello!

11 Comments

1. Vickie E
    September 23, 2010 at 10:14 am

funny. I grew up in Dubuque Iowa. My grandparents live in Sioux City!
    Now I live in Ohio so totally funny you mix up the states I am so familiar with. a side note…I lived in Rochester MN for 2 years after dental school.

2. Gene Black
    September 23, 2010 at 10:57 am

I think the “I”s have it..that is why I always mixed them up – well that and my lack of geographical knowledge.

3. Needled Mom
    September 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Iowa is my home state – a small town outside of Waterloo. Please tell Iowa “hello” for me. Have fun.

4. Linda
    September 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm

You are making quite a trek; well, a second trek if you made it to Paducah this year! Say hello to Iowa for me too….I’m originally from the Newton area. Lots of great shops in Iowa; I visited some on vacation there this summer.

5. Di~
    Di~
    September 23, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Where did you live in Idaho? I was in Souix City many years ago, while in college, for about 32 hours…it’s a long story…:)

6. Sherry
    Sherry
    September 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Konda, I live in Sioux City and can’t wait to meet you and your quilts! I am taking one of your classes Saturday and coming to the banquet. Looks to be a fun day (disregard the weather as we’ve been having a couple of rainy, gloomy days but it’s sunny inside!). See you soon.

7. Michelle
    September 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I live in Iowa, but clear on the OTHER side of the state…almost exactly straight across. I’m very close to the Illinois state line. I have lived in Iowa all my life, and still live within 25 miles of my home town. Have fun this weekend!

8. Sewgreen
    September 25, 2010 at 12:03 am

darnit!! I used to live in Iowa!! And of course I find out about all this stuff after I leave!!

Have fun!

9. Tracy P.
    September 27, 2010 at 1:57 am

Okay, I used to live in Iowa City, and there was always a great deal of confusion from my famiy and friends about exactly where we moved. My pal had a t-shirt that summed it up very nicely. It read “The University of Iowa, Idaho City, Ohio”
    Chuckle, chuckle.

10. Tomme
    September 27, 2010 at 6:16 pm

We loved having you here, Konda. It was a great weekend!

11. Susan
    September 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I always remembered the difference by connecting potatoes with Idaho. My daughter lived in Ames, Iowa for 3 years, so I now don’t confuse Iowa with Ohio or any other state.