Progress on the Brown Quilt
With my brown Kona cotton fat quarter bundle, I decided to make the quilt on the cover of this magazine:
I have been thinking about making a hexagon quilt for a while now. These hexagons are large which makes it seem “do”able. I also like how they are pieced differently than other hexagon quilts. I decided to make it larger by making one more round of hexagons. Then the center would be on the lighter side, the next row would be a little darker etc.
First, I split the fat quarters up into two piles, light and dark. That didn’t seem to have enough contrast within the piles so I swapped a few of the fat quarters.
In the directions, strips are cut at random widths and are cut at angles. While I like the randomness, I decided to make strip sets so the process would go faster.
I cut strips at 1.5,” 2,” and 2.5.” Each strip set had 2 of the skinniest strip and one of each of the others. Then the strip sets had too much left on the sides for my liking so I sewed the strip sets together to make one long strip set as you can see a little in the next two pictures.
What ended up working well is to cut the two sides of the template as shown.
Then when I turned the template, it matched right up to cut the next shape.
After I had all the templates cut that much, I went back and cut the top two sides.
That’s all for now. More to come. I am not loving it right now, but that happens sometimes.