Color of the Year

MooseQuilts
Congratulations this year goes to Tangerine!  And more specifically Tangerine Tango!  Tangerine Tango is the new color of the year!  Here’s the link to Pantone:
So Orange will take center stage next year.  Way to go orange! I love what the executive director at Pantone said about this color:
“Tangerine Tango marries the vivaciousness and adrenaline rush of red with the friendliness and warmth of yellow, to form a high-visibility, magnetic hue that emanates heat and energy.”

They are serious about color at Pantone!
While on the surface, I think this business of color of the year seems rather silly, I have been surprised how it has changed my quilting.  When I found out that there was such a thing as “Color of the Year,” it was a couple years ago and the color was turquoise.  I have never really appreciated turquoise, or orange for that matter.  But I took up the challenge to use these colors in my quilting.  I have been very surprised how much I have grown in my use of color.  I still don’t love using turquoise, but I do really like using it’s lighter cousin, aqua.  And, I made a school bag, that I need to take a picture of because I love it! and I used a tiny bit of turquoise.  It was Perfect!  I have found out that I can let turquoise play in my quilts sometimes – not too often, but sometimes, and I won’t even hate it!
As I was being brave with turquoise, I introduced myself to orange as well.  I actually like orange on occasion now.  That wasn’t the case a couple years ago.  Here’s to meeting new friends!
What do you think about orange?  Love it?  Hate it?  or On the fence?  Orange is an extreme color.  My guess is that there aren’t many fence sitters.  I could be wrong.  What’s your view?

17 Comments

1. Mama Spark
    December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Love it! Especially with aqua and navy! Although I like it with green and gray too.

2. Miki Willa
    December 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love orange! I can’t wait to get more orange for my stash.

3. Sherryl
    December 8, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Orange has always been one of favorite colors. Always! It just makes me happy. 🙂

4. mariebeers
    December 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Love orange, as fall is my favorite season and love making pumpkins in all shades of orange from light to real dirty orange.

5. Cindy
    December 9, 2011 at 12:52 am

Orange used to be my least favorite color probably because it doesn’t look good on me. In the past year I started collecting oranges and now I love them! I still won’t wear it but I love the pop it provides.

6. Darlene
    December 9, 2011 at 1:50 am

Love Orange and most shades of it! Can’t wait to see more of it used in the upcoming year.

7. Linda
    December 9, 2011 at 2:01 am

This year was our year for a new car–Dodge Caravan. “Mango Tango” my husband demanded it to be called after I called it “orange”. lol Now we see that color everywhere. I see a “Mango Tango” quilt in my future!

Linda

8. sue
    sue
    December 9, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Without even turning my head I see my orange coffee cup and a piece of orange with white polka dot fleece that I made pajama boots from. I love orange! It will be lovely to see it used more than as Halloween and Fall themes. Yay Orange!!

9. Gari
    December 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Yea for orange, my favorite color, no matter what they call it.

10. Kiwifruit-Shiree
    December 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I love orange as a colour, and all the shades of. However, I don’t use it that much at all really.. it does brighten up the duller grays looks stunning against black. The fruit is pretty darn good too!

11. Barbara McD
    December 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Hate it. 🙁

12. Linda
    December 10, 2011 at 6:54 am

Love orange!!! i just finished a baby quilt with the background and sashing orange. 5 ” Riley Blake animal patterns (owls, lions, etc) were between the sashing.

13. ashenka
    December 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

very interesting 🙂 orange is very bright color. I can’t say that I like it very much, but sometimes it’s very nice, especially with ethnic, of “ground” theme..

14. Sew Surprising
    December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

Will be interesting to see what mixes will be popular with orange. Must say its not one of my favourite colours.

15. Anonymous
    Anonymous
    December 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I do not like orange but since the school colors are orange and black I am certainly getting used to orange.

16. Betty C
    December 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

So many shades of Orange. They are all pretty in the right place. The red-orange color of the year is beautiful. I love ALL colors. I have a rainbow in my head that has more colors than you can imagine. I am not narrow-minded when it comes to colors.

17. Anonymous
    Anonymous
    December 20, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I have made two quilts using many different oranges. They are beautiful & so interesting. You can look at them for hours. Giquilt